[sw-l] ITALY...Use FireFox web browser for SignPuddle

Barbara Pennacchi barbara.pennacchi at ISTC.CNR.IT
Thu Apr 28 14:57:13 UTC 2005

On 28.04.05 16:04, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> Do NOT use Internet Explorer. It is not fast enough and the symbols do
> not always show up.

I'm on a Red Hat 9. I wouldn't dream of using ExploDer even if Bill gates
in person shows up at my doorstep to pay me my weight in gold or platinum
(wellll, I might accept the payment and then put a IE-like theme on my
Firefox to fool him... heh)

> The preferred web browser is FireFox, which is free to download on the
> web...(link for download is on the page above)
>
> So please tell your co-workers to download FireFox and use it...it is
> for Macintosh, Windows and Linux...

Don't worry, I've hid ExploDer in all their accounts on a WinXP box, here
at the institute and I've put firefox in a cd-rom containing all other
tools (QuickTime, SW-Edit and SW-java), inviting them to install it.

This almost 2 months ago.

The slowness of signPuddle is due not only to users' connection speed, but
also to the "distance" between user and server. You have to remember that
internet is mostly a huge race of servers passing back and forth packets
of information, with varying degrees of speed and reliability. My computer
isn't directly and physically connected to www.signbank.org. Nor to any
Rome-based server outside of my LAN. But the speed of loading web pages
from italian web sites tends to be slightly higher to that of US-based web
sites, if the respective ISPs are roughly the same in terms of
connectivity and efficiency.

have to run, now. again. *sigh*

| Barbara Pennacchi               barbara.pennacchi (at) istc.cnr.it |
|                 Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche                 |
|         Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione          |
|                  V.le Marx 15, 00137 Roma, Italia                  |
|                      http://www.istc.cnr.it/                       |