[sw-l] Re: SignPuddle

Barbara Pennacchi barbara.pennacchi at ISTC.CNR.IT
Wed Apr 27 14:37:05 UTC 2005

On 27.04.05 00:01, Valerie Sutton wrote:
> I will answer your long message question by question, but before I

Ok, fine with me :-)

> start, may I ask, do you and Elena know about SignPuddle? It is a
> wonderful tool and I have the Italian Sign Language dictionary section

Yes, you've already told us many times. However, as I already tried to
tell you before, I don't really think that using exclusively web-based
application is a viable solution for most of our group. And it is still a
bit too early to start filling a web-based dictionary, since we're still
learning how to write signs.

> So as soon as you feel ready, I can walk you through, step by step, how
> to create your first sign in SignWriting there, and you will see it is
> much easier than using DOS or Java at the moment...

I don't agree really much on this point. Web-based programs have their
pros but also their CONS, as do also stand-alone programs.

I *still* prefer to have a workable and viable STAND-ALONE program, since
I'm not really much fond of (ab)using the mouse (I'm a keyboard person)
and not everybody in the group can stay connected 24/7... DSL lines in
Italy don't grow on trees and aren't really much reliable.

I concede you that the idea of web-based dictionaries like SignPuddle is
great, in terms of collaborative work. However, I'd really appreciate if
somebody could also devise an easy way to have/convert it into a SW
dictionary in our own computer/laptop for when we cannot connect to
internet.

> I am sure you know that Penny's research group in German-Switzerland is
> using SignPuddle for their SignWriting research now too?...

Yes, you told us already. But, as far as I know, our project is a bit
different from Boyes-Braem's.

There is another thing: Elena and I are currently the ones with a good
degree of fluency in english, in our group. I must confess that I don't
really relish the prospective of becoming a relay service (I'm not working
full-time on this project).

So, personally, I'd rather wait for the whole group (and Elena) to go
deeper into their SW knowledge (and have a sizeable bunch of LIS examples
to copy into the SignPuddle, too ;-), before explaining them how to use
the SignPuddle.

| Barbara Pennacchi               barbara.pennacchi (at) istc.cnr.it |
|                 Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche                 |
|         Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione          |
|                  V.le Marx 15, 00137 Roma, Italia                  |
|                      http://www.istc.cnr.it/                       |