[sw-l] Different SignWriting programs have different uses...

Thu Apr 28 17:23:39 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 28, 2005

 >Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
 >Let me tell you that I admire your work very , very much. I am so
impressed – and though I still (ha ) teach how to use SW44  -
SignPuddle has become >a very powerful tool to give first insight into
the principles of “signconstruction” –

---------------------

Hello Everyone and Stefan!
Thank you for your kind words...I do my best, just as all our wonderful
programmers do their best too. And you do your best too, as teachers
and document writers!!

Each computer program has played an important role in SignWriting, and
I use different programs for different purposes. I am glad you are
skilled with SignWriter 4.4 in DOS, Stefan....Just because we use one
program on the web for web interaction does not mean that we are
throwing out other programs that can be used on your desktop...They all
have value...I also know that programmers do not stop creating, just
because we are happily learning what they created a year ago! So there
will always be new developments and we just have to enjoy the roller
coaster ride....!!

For me, I use SignWriter to type long documents. I use SignBank for
SignSpellings, for sorting dictionaries by SSS and printing
dictionaries for publications. And I use SignPuddle for my online
communication, and for creating new signs for web use. And because I
can drag and drop signs from SignPuddle into SignBank now, I am using
SignPuddle for any time I need a png version of an individual sign...so
that is perfect for SignBank...

The Flemish computer programmers, Bart Braem and Steven Aerts, have
been very generous and have a program that they will be releasing the
source code for...I am grateful to them for this and I look forward to
seeing how we can use their program...For example, they can create pngs
very fast from SignWriter DOS dictionaries and publish them directly on
the web in dictionaries...plus a lot more...their Flemish Sign Language
Dictionary is really great!

And Daniel Noelpp and Lars Majewski have such a hard job creating new
versions of SignWriter DOS and Java...I admire them very much too!!

And without Antonio Carlos da Rocha Costa and his computer programming
students and co-workers in Brazil, we wouldn't have the original SWML
or SW Edit or sooooo many wonderful Brazilian programs...and there are
new programmers starting in Brazil too...!! smile...

OK...I am now going back to teaching both SignSpellings and also how to
use the IMWA...the new Finger Movement Symbols...One of the important
features of SignPuddle is that it is the only program that uses the
IMWA right now, and I need it badly, because it helps me display the
new symbols and then I can teach you all in a visual and simple
way...Stephen Slevinski has really given the IMWA a stable base by
using it in his SignMaker program...I hope someday that other computer
programmers will use the IMWA...smile...

Val ;-)