Teachers around the world....

Tue Aug 16 15:38:18 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
August 16, 2005

Hello Shane, Stefan, Ingvild, everyone -
My experience is that different cultures have different ways of
teaching and handling their schools. Nothing is true for ALL schools.
And even in the same country, there are differences from one district
to the next. Some residential schools for the Deaf in the US have
more students, and some have less students, than the local
mainstreaming schools. So you cannot make a broad generalization...

Meanwhile, there seems to be one thing that is true around the
world...Teachers are very special people who usually work long long
hours, no matter what school they teach in, and no matter what
country they come from. Most teachers donate time after school, to
help individual students, and some even help the class financially.
In Albuquerque, I never forgot a wonderful teacher who gave the
students money for materials, when they could not afford it...Many
teachers are like heros...Helping children become educated adults, by
tutoring them privately in their homes, with their parents, and
teaching the parents how to sign etc...Amazing people...

I am impressed with the fine teachers who work with SignWriting
around the world...

Val ;-)