CZJ - Czech sign language: SKOLA (school) - video

Shane Ó hEorpa oheorpa-s at ULSTER.AC.UK
Fri Aug 19 21:13:14 UTC 2005

Tomas,

A wee note here - it does not matter if one is born deaf or not - there are
thousands of born-deaf signers who are not good with their signed languages
- we have to be VERY careful - there are many non-deaf signers who are very
good with their signed languages.

For instance, I have collected so many old NISL signs from non-deaf signers
(some of them have deaf grandparents, some have deaf parents, some have deaf
uncles/aunts etc who went to the deaf schools in Belfast) - that is how I
got to identify the history of NISL - a very large influx of Old ASL into
NISL in the 1890s and all that.

:-)

And some of my tutors (at primary schools) are non-deaf, teaching NISL or
ISL to the kids there :-)

Shane of Belfast