SignPuddle

Thu Aug 25 14:16:54 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
August 25, 2005

Hello Barbara, Nana and Stefan!
Just to explain....The reason that Stefan and Nana feel free to post
in their native languages is that, as the moderator of the List, I
said that was ok!

If you wanted to post a message in Italian or any other spoken
language using the Roman alphabet, you are most welcome to do that,
Barbara. The only limitation on the List is that the List software
can only accept the Roman alphabet, and now we have our SignMail
program, so we can send email in signs from different countries, or
in spoken languages using the Roman alphabet.

If those who write in another language could also provide a
translation into English that would be great, so others could
participate...it is true that you are excluding some people
automatically if you write without an English translation.

Why do I have this policy? Because there are some people who are
frightened to post on the List because they do not know English and I
am trying to encourage people from all over the world to
participate...Obviously it is not a perfect solution, and postings
that do not provide an English translation are the exception and not
the rule, but then the List is criticised for having too much English
anyway, so you can't really win...So any language is
accepted...smile...(just as long as it is romanized!) or in SignMail
- Ha!

When Nana and Stefan are writing in German, I figure that around 10
percent of the List members are probably reading it...I know we have
other List members who know German...I read German, but if I have to
answer a person from Germany who does not know English, I use one of
those English-to-German translators and hope that the machine-
language it generates is not too bad...smile...

Val ;-)