ESWS - European SW Symposium

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 4 11:51:46 UTC 2005

I agree, my two sign languages get confused sometimes, particularly when I had just returned from Brazil.  The Libras was so fresh in my mind, that my hands were confused (smile).

Charles

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa <shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at francismaginn.org> wrote:
Chas,

Sometimes knowing more than one national sign language does help a lot - and
if one is a sign linguist in Europe, getting to know LSF (French Sign
Language) would be VERY USEFUL because most national sign languages in
Europe have started from LSF.

With my native NISL, I had to learn BSL (British) and at least 5 of its many
dialects, ISL (Irish) and its male variant, female variant and north
variant, ASL, fairly LSF and a bit of TID (Turkish), KSL (Kenyan) and a bit
of DGS (German), a bit of VGT (Flemish), a bit of LSFB (Franco-Belgian) and
a bit of NGT (Dutch) - I feel it is of some benefits to me as a Sign
Linguist - and that is how I got to know that NISL is a separate language
with a large amount of ASL, LSF, BSL and ISL inside it.

Many fluent signers DO find it easy to pick up signs - it’s the question of
keeping signs separate!!! :-o

Shane