AW: [sw-l] Private lesson with Val

Wed Aug 17 11:42:12 UTC 2005

Hi Valerie and Nana,

do you post the spellings you worked on somewhere?

It is always  a pleasure to read signs that are “oficially proofed”  smile

Stefan ;-)

  _____

Von: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] Im Auftrag von Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. August 2005 07:35
An: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Betreff: Re: [sw-l] Private lesson with Val

SignWriting List

August 16, 2005

Nana Dumitra from the Philippines wrote:

Thanks to a donation by Neil Bauman, I got SW membership again for this
year. What I did not know at that time was that now it comes with one free
private lesson with Val! I was excited, but didn’t really know what I wanted
to use the lesson for. Then she mailed the SW e-mail about when school
starts again, I wrote and answer in SW but by accident mailed it to Val
privately instead of the list. Now Val took the opportunity to teach me
more. It was really great! I could tell from my writing that it looked
different from what I saw e.g. in the ASL dictionary, but I did not see
where the “problem” was. Now Val graciously pointed out a basic rule of SW
and all of a sudden it makes more sense. She even put her spelling
suggestions into Filipino SignPuddle. I have not had time to work on it, so
maybe you want to take a look to see the differences! I really enjoyed
having Val check some of my writing and being able to learn something. I am
sure that will also be very good when teaching others how to use SW. Thought
I would let you all know, maybe you would also enjoy a private lesson from
Val. As far as I understand one comes included in the membership, but then I
think you can also get more for additional payment, but Val probably knows
more about that, right? After I redo our signs, I will send my SW e-mail
again, but this time to the whole list so you can enjoy it, too.

--------------------------

Hello Nana and Neil!

Thanks to you both...

Neil...your funding is greatly appreciated!

And Nana, it was a joy for me to study and write some of the Filipino signs
with you...I really enjoyed the experience...It felt like I had traveled to
a distant land...smile...

And you already know the SignWriting symbols well, I can see that. We worked
on writing the position of contact, which tightens up the SignSpellings,
making them more readable as a unit...This will help Nana's translations of
the Bible later, into Filipino Sign Language...

If anyone wants to know what it means to write the position of contact, just
ask! smile...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite

http://www.SignWriting.org