AW: [sw-l] non-deaf people and mouthing

Sat Feb 26 21:12:07 UTC 2005

Hi Valerie and all,

I felt astonished to read so many messages about mouthing -
and I feel irritated to see that this or that seems to be better ...

Just watching at a variety of SL-performances on TV, in internet -
video-clips, or ... I see a lot of people who are moving their lips in order
to clarify their message.

Of course there are mouth gestures in German SL (DGS) as well ... but
besides that very, very often the mouth supports the hands - (not only in
Germany)

The only way to find out how important additional Mundbilder are is to write
long stories as SW-documents in a given SL and ask a person- who is a well
trained SW-reader and a well informed SL-user of this given SL - to read and
to translate this document. --- I have to do this every day!!!

Well from my point of view - I do not care - I just look at what I see and
if I see a person signing with some degree of mouthing I prefer to accept
that as one style of signing. And since this is a part of the performance
there is no sense to neglect or to ignore that!
As a hearing person it is not my task or right anyway to judge any sign or
signing performance as adequate or non adequate.

So all in all - this debate is somehow not a matter of SW per se.

What is important to me is that if we would like to include this voiceless
speaking ( often only parts of words in DGS!!) it would be helpful to
understand these symbols.

On my website www.gebaerdenschrift.de I published my development of
Mundbilder  - (please don´t confuse this with the Mundbildschrift which was
invented for articulation training)

So the signs like pah, mmmm, or deeee or whatever could be written with
these symbols without any problem, ...

Stefan ;-)