[sw-l] how to write down deaf signs?

James Shepard-Kegl, Esq. kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Thu Feb 3 13:28:52 UTC 2005

It is never part of a sign to say a word, although mouthing can be integral
to the sign.  For example, in Nicaragua, the signer will articulate
"woof-woof" along with the particular hand movement needed to sign "dog".
But if you think about it, you will realize that Deaf receivers do not hear
the articulation; of course, they see the mouth movement, and the fact that
some kind of exhalation is involved.  The "essential" mouth shape and the
exhalation indeed can be readily conveyed via SW.  By "essential" I mean
close enough so that the reader will know what you are writing about -- and
in a writing system, that's the point.

-- James Shepard-Kegl