[sw-l] Improved SignMaker, please review

Stephen Slevinski slevinski at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Wed Jan 19 22:42:31 UTC 2005

Hi Bill,

There are over 25,000 symbols in the IMWA 1.1.  Finding the symbol you want
can be tricky.  It takes time to explore and remember where all of the
symbols are located.  Val will be explaining how the IMWA is arranged which
will help.

The following tries to explain how SignMaker works with the IMWA, but it has
detailed information so some may want to skip it...

SignMaker displays all of the symbols of the IMWA in 3 pages.  Each page can
have up to 96 symbols at a time.  Selecting a symbol on the first page,
leads to the second.  Selecting a symbol on the second page, leads to the
third.

There are 6 characteristics for each symbol:
Category - Group - Symbol - Variation - Fill - Rotation

Examle: 01-02-003-04-05-06

01 - Category
02 - Group
003 - Symbol
04 - Variation
05 - Fill
06 - Rotation

Each page of SignMaker takes 2 characteristics at a time.

The first page displays all unique Category-Group combinations.  This is the
50 groups of the IMWA.  The first symbol on the first page is
01-01-001-01-01-01.  The second symbol is 01-02-001-01-01-01.

The second page displays all unique Symbol-Variations for the selected
Category-Group.  If the first symbol was selected on the first page, this
page will display symbols 01-01-001-01-01-01, 01-01-002-01-01-01,
01-01-003-01-01-01, ...

The third page displays all Fill-Rotations for the selected
Symbol-Variation.

The special keys work directly on the characteristics of the symbol.  The
variation key cycles through the variations of a symbol.  The arrows use
variations most.  The variation key will change the size of the arrow.  The
fill key cycles through the fill values for a symbol.   The rotation key
cycles from 1 thru 8, or 9 thru 16.

The mirror key changes the rotation value by adding or subtracting 8.  This
works great for hands.  Rotation values 1-8 are the right hand.  Rotation
values 9-16 are the left hand.  However, not all symbols have 16 rotations.
For symbols with 8 or less rotations, a special table is used. 1<>1, 2<>8,
3<>7, 4<>6.

So SignMaker follows a small set of rules for handling the symbol
characteristics.  The shape of the IMWA determines how SignMaker behaves.

Hope that answered your question without too much details.

-Stephen