[sw-l] Work Offline mode in Firefox

Stephen Slevinski slevinski at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Tue Jan 25 04:22:03 UTC 2005

Hi Tini,

Soon you will be able to use SignText to send emails.  Until that time, you
can try glossing - imperfect but fun.

Use the Translate icon in the SignPuddle to get a feel for how to use gloss.
Only signs that already exist in the dictionary can be used, so you may need
to add the signs before you continue.  Type in the names of signs (from the
dictionary) like a normal sentence.  Use punctuation (),.!? per usual.

http://signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-US/translate.php

ASL example:
Here is a test sentence.

Better ASL example:
Here better test sentence.

The words "is" and "a" are not needed when using gloss.

If a word does not exist in the dictionary, then finger-spelling is used.
(If the alphabet exists in the dictionary.)  The word Schenectady does not
exist in the ASL dictionary, so each letter will be shown seperately - S C H
E N E C T A D Y. Not all sign languages use finger-spelling, but this is
useful for languages that do.

The SignWriting is displayed horizontally by default.  Enter a value for
"Signs per column" if you want verticle writing.  Notice that the head is
not centered properly for either writing style (verticle and horizontal).
This is a known problem.  (SignText will not have this problem.)

After you have a feel for how to use gloss, select the SignMail icon in the
SignPuddle dictionary.  Enter the gloss in the "Gloss Text" field.  Fill in
the fields From, To, and Subject.  You can also add Comments if you like.
Enter a value for "Signs per column" if you want verticle writing.  DO NOT
check "Use online images" if you want to be able to view the email offline.
Press Preview to view online.  Once you are finished, press Send to send the
email.

Please ask questions if you have any,
-Stephen