[sw-l] Flemish and ASL signs for CRY

Katrien Van Mulders katrien_vanmulders at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 25 21:47:48 UTC 2005

Hi Val,

Yes, it is very helpful (and thanks again for complimenting us on it), but it remains a pity we didn't get to the Sign Spelling rules sooner ...

Regards,

Katrien

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
January 25, 2005

Katrien Van Mulders wrote:
> The sign used by many Flemish Deaf for "Vienna" is identical to the
> Flemish sign "to cry, weep". "to cry" and "vienna" both translate as
> "wenen" in Dutch, hence the identical sign.
> (Have a look at http://gebaren.ugent.be/alfabet.php?id=19319. There
> you can see the sign the Flemish use for "Vienna".)

Here is our ASL sign for cry, Katrien. Notice how much detail we put
into the writing...including contact under the eye...When I look at
your SignSpelling on your link above, I noticed you did not tell the
reader that the finger is contacting under the eye...your dictionary is
sooo helpful on the web because with the video we can really see what
you wanted to write...Congrats on your wonderful Flemish dictionary
online...Val ;-)

http://mail.yahoo.com