[sw-l] Flemish and ASL signs for CRY

Tue Jan 25 22:17:22 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
January 25, 2005

Katrien Van Mulders wrote:
> Yes, it is very helpful (and thanks again for complimenting us on it),
> but it remains a pity we didn't get to the Sign Spelling rules sooner

Smile...Well, let us keep it all in perspective. Never before in
history, has there been a writing system used on a daily basis by over
27 signed languages...even if there are only small groups of us in each
country writing daily...this is still an historic first. And it is a
golden opportunity now, with the internet, to work on these
SignSpellings, so that future generations have a standardized writing
system...and each computer program...whether it be the Flemish Online
Dictionary, or SignWriter DOS or SignMaker etc...every program has some
problems because of the growing pains we are all experiencing as more
and more people use SignWriting around the world...so let us look at
this as an historic adventure!

When it comes to the SignSpelling rules about the arrows, those have
been in existance ever since SignWriting began, in 1974. They are
located in our Lessons in SignWriting textbook under the Movement
Arrows section. But the reason it was hard for you, is the symbols had
to be applied to your Flemish signs, and so you had no examples to work
from...so I admire your pioneering work...and I am also grateful that
you are willing to learn...

We can change the spellings in the Flemish Sign Puddle on the web with
no problem...that is good...But what about your Woerdenboek dictionary
program? Can anyone edit or make changes to those signs in the
future?...Val ;-)