[sw-l] Czech sign language

Martin Novak sign at MARTANEK.COM
Sat Jan 22 22:27:39 UTC 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:59:20 +0100, Lucyna Dlugolecka wrote
> > Thought Poland and Czech Republic are in Central Europe?
>
> Some people say these countries are in Central Europe, some do that
> in Eastern Europe, and some other, that in Central-Eastern Europe.
> For me, it's all the same :-) Now we are just in the European Union
> ;-)

About Czech some people say Heart of Europe, Czech is in Central Europe not
Eastern.

> > Lucyna, am I right in thinking Polish Sign Language come from LSF (French
> > Sign Language?)
>
> No, Polish Sign Language (PJM) does not come from LSF. Only the
> finger alphabet has something in common with LSF. PJM is a natural
> language developed by Polish Deaf people. There are some foreign
> influences from the Austrian, the German and the Russian sign
> languages in PJM as in the past Poland had been for more than 100
> years under foreign rules. That is why PJM is partially similar to
> the Austrian, Czech, Slovakian, German and Russian SL.

Some people talk, that Czech sign language is from Austria and Austria sign
language from France sign language. After second war there was so much of
natural changes and now is a bit different. I know about big difference
between Czech sign language and British sign language.