ETHIOPIAN Manual Alphabet and New Signs

nemery at U.WASHINGTON.EDU nemery at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Jul 8 18:12:14 UTC 2005

The Ethiopian alphabet and manual alphabet are very interesting.  The alphabet with 231
symbols shown on the website looks like there are 33 consonants, and then you can write each
one as just the consonant, or accomanied by extra marks - diacritics - to show 6 different
vowels (so 7 versions of each consonant).  Or maybe there are 7 vowels, and one is the "default"
vowel, the one that doesn't need an extra mark to show it.

Eyasu, are the 33 handshapes showing the 33 consonants?  It looks like the handshapes try to
look like the shape of the written letter.  And then is the handshape moved in a different way to
show the vowel that goes along with the consonant - so, the movement of the hand takes the
place of the little extra markings in the written letter?  Are there 7 vowels altogether?

I think that technically - and I know that we don't need to be technical, but it might help people
understand what is going on to have the little explanation - the Ethiopian writing system is
called an abugida rather than an alphabet.  Here is a definition of an abugida:  "A phonographic
writing system in which vowels are typically written as diacritics on consonants and one vowel is
not written: e.g. scripts of India, Ethiopic" (from "Writing Systems: a Linguistic Approach", by
Henry Rogers).

It seems like the manual alphabet sort of works the same way.

Very interesting!

Nancy