ETHIOPIAN Manual Alphabet and New Signs

Mon Jul 11 16:58:35 UTC 2005

Thank you, Nancy, for this interesting information!  Val ;-)

---------------

On Jul 8, 2005, at 11:12 AM, nemery at u.washington.edu wrote:

The Ethiopian alphabet and manual alphabet are very interesting.  The
alphabet with 231 symbols shown on the website looks like there are
33 consonants, and then you can write each one as just the consonant,
or accomanied by extra marks - diacritics - to show 6 different
vowels (so 7 versions of each consonant).  Or maybe there are 7
vowels, and one is the "default" vowel, the one that doesn't need an
extra mark to show it.

Eyasu, are the 33 handshapes showing the 33 consonants?  It looks
like the handshapes try to look like the shape of the written
letter.  And then is the handshape moved in a different way to show
the vowel that goes along with the consonant - so, the movement of
the hand takes the place of the little extra markings in the written
letter?  Are there 7 vowels altogether?

I think that technically - and I know that we don't need to be
technical, but it might help people understand what is going on to
have the little explanation - the Ethiopian writing system is called
an abugida rather than an alphabet.  Here is a definition of an
abugida:  "A phonographic writing system in which vowels are
typically written as diacritics on consonants and one vowel is not
written: e.g. scripts of India, Ethiopic" (from "Writing Systems: a
Linguistic Approach", by Henry Rogers).

It seems like the manual alphabet sort of works the same way.

Very interesting!

Nancy