MALAYSIA What is SMS? ;-)

Aisha Shamsuna Ahmed kcx4aas at NOTTINGHAM.EDU.MY
Fri Jul 15 01:23:46 UTC 2005

Thank you Tomas. You are right. It is Short Message Service used for
sending text messages via mobile phones.

>>> Tomas.Klapka at ruce.cz 7/15/2005 12:32:59 AM >>>
I think it is Short Message Service (cellular phone text message
service)... which is used by czech deaf people as well ;-)

More information could be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_message_service

Tomas

Charles Butler wrote:

> SMS--unless it is Southern Malaysian Sign--seems to be the acronym
for
> Short Message Statement, a shorthand of English statements
> specifically created for instant messaging systems over time.
> Example, FYI = For your information, FBI = I'll look into it (which
> requires presume knowledge of English and the U.S. legal system as
> promulgated by television), and hundreds of other short statements,
> which could be tied into a "statement for statement" substitution
> program in SW if done as "whole statement" rather than "individual
signs".

> It would be certainly interesting to tie specific English short
> statements into their equivalents in ASL, Libras, etc., as it would
be
> a challenge of idiom for idiom rather than word-by-word translation
> and would fit into some currently available translation technology.
>
> It would not be a substitute for learning Sign Writing in its
> particulars, but it would certainly be a unique fast promulgation of

> usage if the SMS statements were tied to SW graphic equivalents (as
> decided by native users of those signed languages).
>
> That would be a full-time job for anyone.
>
> Charles
>

> */Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org>/* wrote:
>
>     SignWriting List
>     July 14, 2005
>
>>     Aisha Shamsuna Ahmed from Malaysia wrote:
>>     Guess I should re-introduce myself, my name is Aisha Shamsuna
>>     Ahmed, a
>>     postgraduate student of the University of Nottingham Malaysia
>>     Campus.  I am studying for a MSc in
>>     Information Technology. Please could you give me some more
>>     information about Sign Writing; its
>>     alphabets, how to learn it etc. I would be most grateful
because
>>     I think this would be
>>     quite helpful to me as I am conducting research on SMS for the
Deaf.
>>     And I believe that Sign Writing could be put to good use in
SMS.