[sw-l] Underlining proper names in vertical columns...

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Fri Jun 3 19:30:19 UTC 2005

I agree that some kind of indication would be helpful.  The side
underline looks like a good solution to me but if it conflicts with
another symbol, that wouldn't be good. I realize the underlining works
well for Stefan and James and they will not want to change their system
(which is fine). But if we had to make a formal symbol that wouldn't
conflict with other symbols .... Hmmm .... here are some brainstorms
... no one has to like any of them ;)

- short wavy vertical line (like what word processors use for
misspellings)?
- some kind of small symbol to be used like tension or fast to show
this kind of thing? .... maybe like a circle with a < or > inside? It
could be beside, on top, or below the sign.
- Use the quote marks for name indication and not as much for
quotations or use an "underlined" quote mark for names?
- Employ one of the other symbols for quotes from other language
writing systems?

A few thoughts.  Just thought I would share some brainstorms.

Thanks,

Stuart