[sw-l] POLAND doubts about the strike symbol

Sun Jun 12 21:14:17 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 12, 2005

>  Lucyna Dlugolecka wrote:
> So, is it justified to use the strike symbol with the lines or the
> symbol without them will be proper for such cases?

Hello Lucyna and Everyone -
Thanks for this question. No. Do not use the Strike-Inbetween (the
strike symbols with the two lines). Instead use two plain Strike
symbols.

The Strike-Inbetween symbol is rarely used. In fact, I can only
remember using it in DanceWriting, when slapping between two legs, or
striking the inside crease of the elbow, so it is between the forearm
and the upper arm...so it means inside, between two things...In
SignWriting, the In-between symbols are used mostly between
fingers...and touching, rubbing, brushing or grasping between fingers
are used sometimes, but striking between two fingers is pretty hard
to do!

The sign for WORK in several signed languages looks a little like
what you are trying to write, except that in ASL we are looking at
the top of our hands, so the squares for the fists are dark...

Here are some examples of the sign for WORK in ASL...Notice how we
didn't use the Strike symbols...but instead just Touch...Why? Because
some of our writers felt that the Strike should be kept for something
a little more violent than just Touch-Touch...This was argued a
lot...smile...as to what constitutes a strike and what a touch?...A
Strike hurts a little I guess! Maybe we don't work as hard
here...smile...I think it depends on when you are signing fast or
when you are demonstrating a sign...