AW: [sw-l] Stephan's Wallet (retry #3)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 16 19:54:14 UTC 2005

#2 of these four I like the most as it shows the hands and arms moving apart with the fingertips pressing, but I prefer the stacked * and ~, like #4, If something is stacked, it's all simultaneous.  We are all learning.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
June 16, 2005

Hello Stefan and Everyone!
Thanks for this message...

> Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> There is no reason whatsoever to put any pressure in whatever
> direction!

Thank you, Stefan. I appreciate that. I want to enjoy
SignWriting...and there is a lot of joy to share! And I know you
share joy with your Deaf students daily in Germany....

> I understand your invention as a wonderful, wonderful support to
> improve
> literacy in my students - and believe me there is a difference!!!
> smile

Nice to know that SignWritng is useful...smile

> Of course the use and feedback of SW on a daily basis may lead to
> problems
> and spelling needs. This is a great chance to look carefully at the
> strength
> and weakness of this notation system.

Yes. I see this as a good thing, that we need to come to decisions
together. That way we really get a writing system that will be used
around the world. If I was just a dictator, I know for a fact some
people would not use it...so it is better to work together. Your
input, for example, in Germany, has been very helpful. By the way, I
would like to add the Mundbildschrift facial expressions into the
IMWA this week...is this ok with you, Stefan? Do you want that? I
will wait to hear from you to be sure...

> Ha - if it would not work - I would not use it at school.

of course not! smile...

> So you think that we need an additional interpretation of the wrist-
> flexing
> symbol- with the focus on the wrist - while the fingers keep in touch.

In these rare cases, where two hands press against each other, I
think we need to create a common understanding as to how to write it
in general...

> What would I have done without that?

Ha! This made me giggle...smile...I admit that our lives would not
come to an end if I did not create such a rule!!! grin...

> Well I tried out another series of spelling variations and all of them
> "should" describe the same performance -

oh boy! Let me see...smile...I see below....

> well #1 is different but looking at my hands while performing this
> "wallet"
> sign fluently I perceived a little backward - movement of my
> fingertips ...

how interesting!!

> Hi Valerie - hope you are doing fine!

I am ok, thanks for asking! Compared to three-quarters of the world,
I have a terrific life!

And I hope you and your students are doing well too...smile...

Your spellings here bring up some important issues and I will try to
write this up if I can - Many thanks, Stefan!!