[sw-l] SW system type... alphabetic vs. others ( pictographic, ideographic, logographic)

Tue Jun 21 16:01:11 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 21, 2005

> Tomáš Klapka wrote:
> So it must be alphabetic.
> Is it right?

Hello Tomas and Everyone -
I can see others have given great answers....;-)

Yes. I consider it an alphabet, as do most linguists I have spoken
to. The A in the IMWA stands for the word Alphabet! smile... So when
we are applying the symbols to writing signed languages, the system
works like an alphabet. And I consider it an alphabet when writing
general movement too...a movement-writing alphabet.

So that is one unique aspect to the IMWA. The IPA, for example, is
not used to write music sounds, only spoken language sounds. It  is
limited to one field.... But the IMWA is used to write BOTH signed-
language-movement, and also general dance movement, under musical
scores! So the IMWA is more than the IPA...these comparisons can get
very confusing!

Does anyone know of another writing system that writes both spoken
languages sounds and music sounds?...smile

Here is the terminology the way I use it, within SignWriting
documents. This document was prepared for people who know nothing
about the subject....I realize that some of the terminology is not
exactly the way linguists have used these terms in the past. That is
also why I felt the need to write down this terminology, so I can
share with you, how I think...I would love your feedback and feel
free to discuss it...see attached...

It is also on this web page:

SignWriting Terminology
http://www.signbank.org/about/filemaker6.html