[sw-l] challenge for programmers

Tue Jun 21 20:46:10 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
June 21, 2005

Everyone -
These are great discussions!

Tomas...regarding Unicode...
I feel that SWML...especially the SWML that is working in SignPuddle
2.0, is quite wonderful....I hope Unicode happens someday, but as
Stuart says, it has to wait for the IMWA to be finished. But the SWML
that Steve Slevinski has developed, based on Antonio Carlos' original
SWML and stretched to become more dynamic...makes SignWriting no
longer just graphics, it becomes searchable sortable language...so
Unicode is not the only way to make SignWriting become written
symbols instead of pasted graphics...

Many thanks to SIL and Stuart Thiessen for taking on the Unicode
project for us, because I could no longer do work on Unicode with
Michael Everson as I did years ago...

If in my lifetime we can get the IMWA to write DanceWriting,
SignWriting and Mime Writing in the dynamic way we have written it by
hand for 30 years, then my job is done, and I will leave Unicode for
future generations ;-)

There are so many excellent programs under development and I bet
sooner or later Unicode will get done -

Val ;-)