[sw-l] Sign for HOUSE in BSL, NISL, ISL and Flemish Sign Language...

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Mon Mar 7 18:28:27 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:

> ... Trevor you can learn how to write SignWriting right now,
> by showing me a picture of the sign for HOUSE in BSL, ...

Technical problems there. No webcam, no digital camera, no scanner.

Language problems there too. Several different signs can be glossed by
HOUSE. The choice between them depends upon context.

> and try to enter the sign for HOUSE...if you have time to write an
> email message in English then you have time to try for just five
> minutes...

Not a fair comparison. :-| I know email (worked as an email consultant for
a very large multi-national computer corportation), I know English. Even
this email only a few minutes. So far my clock for writing one version of
the gloss HOUSE has gone over the one hour. And now I've got stuck in the
puddle because there's no obvious way to return to the group/symbol
palette after selecting the specific handshape group.

> There are no excuses for not trying...

Not excuses; explanations. I've tried and as you know in another
situation suggested national language writing workshops.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!