[sw-l] Adding Classifiers to SignPuddle Dictionaries

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Wed Mar 16 00:10:31 UTC 2005

I think maybe the hyphen would be a better choice for a few reasons
(which will change in the future, but still worth noting for now unless
Stephen thinks it won't be a problem):

1. In some operating systems, the colon (:) is a special character.  In
Windows, it serves to identify the drive. In Mac 9 and earlier, it was
used to separate the folder names. I believe it also has significance
in other operating systems probably not used on this list. ;-).  Why is
that important? Well, right now, all entries to SignPuddle are actually
files saved to the disk. So, we should follow filename rules when
naming the signs. Later, when the SignPuddle is moved to a database, it
won't matter. If people use SignPuddle on other operating systems and
we share data between Puddles, we should probably try to stick with
symbols that are safe in all operating systems. That is my opinion ...
less wear and tear on the programmers :)

2. The hyphen and the underscore are two symbols that do not have
special significance to the operating system.  Like Stephen commented,
we have already begun using the underscore (_) as a version separator.
So that means the hyphen may be better for this purpose.

Stuart