[sw-l] which is better: handwritten or printed?

Tue Mar 1 15:26:48 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 1, 2005

On Mar 1, 2005, at 5:37 AM, Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa wrote:
> Val, I find myself doing the handwritten version faster than I do with
> the
> computer - is it a good thing or what?

Of course, Shane!! Handwriting is always faster...using a typewriter or
a computer is for long documents that have to be printed etc, but
picking up a pencil and paper and jotting something down is the way
SignWriting started...We all wrote by hand all the time from 1974-1986
anyway...because we had no computers at that time...and then even when
SignWriter computer program started in 1986, most of our Deaf staff
wrote by hand anyway and some even refused to learn the computer...and
then later, new people learned SignWritng and they assumed the mistaken
idea that SignWriting couldn't be written by hand...and I kept telling
them that writing by hand is the way SignWriting started!! So computers
are great, but pencil and paper is just as great! ;-)