[sw-l] which is better: handwritten or printed?

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Tue Mar 1 15:44:13 UTC 2005

Hi Shane!

> Im smiling cos you're using the London dialect ;)

The reason I was trying to write this in my notebook was that I saw a
Scottish signer (who has lived in the SouthWest of Englsnd for years)
signing it last week  :)

> It was meant to be a M.C.S. for "always traveling everywhere" - I believe
> the BSL sign for "travel" is the same one as the sign for "transport"

He mouthed the word "travel", so that's how I glossed it. I do take it to
mean more than that from the visual suggestion in the sign though.

> Keep up your handwritten diagram! I know how the Chinese feel
> when they say
> they prefer their Chinese handwritten very well than printed.

I much prefer SignWriting by hand. I enjoy handwriting in oral languages
too, although there the computer does make things easier.

> Val, I find myself doing the handwritten version faster than I do with the
> computer - is it a good thing or what?

I do too - the reason for this software I'm writing at the moment with the
new keyboard design is to try to get SW up to speed at the keyboard, though.

Sandy