[sw-l] SignSpellings place individual symbols in an order...

Sat Mar 12 16:48:48 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 12. 2005

Dear SW List -
Someone wrote to me asking if we SignSpell by syllables or do we
SignSpell by individual symbols in a sequence? The question is
regarding how we place signs in Sign-Symbol-Sequence in dictionaries...

The answer is the latter ....we SignSpell by individual symbols in a
sequence...See the attached diagram...Although SignWriting does have
syllables, like for example, English has syllables too...But we still
spell the syllables one symbol at a time...for example...in English, we
do not look up words by EN, we look up words by E and then N...

In the attached example the facial expression could have been included
in the SignSpelling too...but because it changes depending on the
sentence, it was not incuded in the basic spelling...I like the idea of
placing numbers inside the sign itself, to show what the SignSpelling
sequence is....a good teaching tool...Val ;-)