[sw-l] Translation requested in ASL...

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Wed Mar 16 15:46:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Ruth Kartchner <ruthclaros at mail.com> wrote:

> I have always been against doing songs by just SEE, which is the tendency
> I see in church and schools and so forth. (By the way, what is SSE?)

I too rail against using SSE. However, some deaf clients request it. But
what they are more likely to be asking for here is BSL with English mouth
movements.

Formal SSE (Sign Supproted English) is the British version of SEE
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signing_Exact_English) and therefore an
artifical language. Some (for example Woll, Kyle and Deucher in their
"Perspectives on BSL and Deafness", 1981) claim that it's a pidgin but
notable features of a pidgin language given by David Crystal in his
Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics is missing: "(pidgin langugaes)
need considerable motivation ... and flourish in areas of economic
development". There is no economic development involved. The only ones
with the motivation for it are the hearing because they can't be bothered
go on and learn BSL (or ASL, etc) prefering to consider deaf people to be
Aristotelian "natural children" and hence it is permissible to ignore
their rights.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!