[sw-l] First Complete SW Story in BSL

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Fri Mar 18 10:03:11 UTC 2005

Hi List!

I've just written my first complete story in BSL. It's a translation of
the traditional Low Saxon story "The Wren".

It's too big to attach so if you go to SignPuddle and click on the
"Translate" item in the menu, or just click here:
http://signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-GB/translate.php then enter the
following glossed text of the story:

little-bird nest where, it garage. parents fly-away, why. food bring
birds-being-fed. baby bird alone. soon father bird home. happen here
what. attack who. you-children afraid. recently, monster come. it
horrible, stare. afraid reason. yes, open-question it go where. yes
road. stay, me go. going-for. is-it-afraid. not-at-all. will tell-off.
fly-away, home where, yes bend-in-road, bird-flying, see what. yes lion,
animal-walking. little-bird is-it-afraid not-at-all. lion it back,
bird-landing, tell-off. nest you finish come. children me they afraid.
why. lion, animal-walking. little-bird furious, tell-off. nest you
not-allowed, shake-head rights. if come-back, leg me smash-down, back
you break. fly-away, home nest. fine. it finish tell-off. gone.

...without line breaks! you should then be able to read the SW
version.I'd recommend you put a large number such as 300 in the "Signs
per Column" box to get the story going straigh down the page.

I'd be very grateful for any comments on this. It's not too
sophisticated as I didn't want to fill up the dictionary with lots of
variants, but it is quite expressive at places.

Sandy