[sw-l] Fwd: Re: [slling-l] SL in Mexico?

Ingvild Roald ingvild.roald at STATPED.NO
Fri Mar 25 05:21:40 UTC 2005

This was on the Sign Linguist list - I know that quite a lot of the
members on the SignWriting list knows about these questions, so I forward
them

Ingvild

[ http://www.sil.org/mexico/lenguajes-de-signos/G009i-Identity-MFS.pdf
]http://www.sil.org/mexico/lenguajes-de-signos/G009i-Identity-MFS.pdf.
:(  It didn't come up for me.

I'm also interested in signed languages from different Spanish Speaking
countries.  I spent all last semester looking for articles written by Deaf
Hispanics about the Deaf Hispanic experience (and found next to nothing
... which is good if I'm looking for a research project, but bad if I'm
looking for info :D)

As far as linguistics, per se, goes  I've found a couple of articles on
DomRepSL & EcuadianSL and have a video with a bit of PuertoRicanSL and
once saw a presentation on CubanSL, but that's about it :(  I've just
gotten ahold of a dissertation that's supposed to look at Deaf Ed in
Hispanic countries, but I haven't even had it long enough to open the
shrink wrap. :)

There was a book published (I've a copy) of LSM ... at first I wondered if
it was "for real" (cause it looked so "signed Englishy" -- lots of signs
are initialized), but then I went to a presentation on LSM at Tampa a few
years back and the 2 researchers explained that one of the differences
between LSM & ASL was the use of initialized signs.  There was something
quite clever with the way the subject is restated, with a particular
"double-take" movement before an action as well (but that's my memory --
and me sitting here at my computer without my notes :)   I did come home
and "re-tape" everything that I could remember as far as signs & grammar
went, but it would be "notes" not "facts" at the very best.

The 2 researchers (can't remember their names right now) had been working
further north than Oxaca (I'd been looking for Deaf in Cuernavaca and
couldn't find them ... and didn't know who to ask :).  I think
the researchers were in San Miguel de Allende or Monterrey (Monterrey, I'm
pretty sure).

Alysse

In a message dated 3/21/2005 12:56:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,