[sw-l] Alternating Movement Arrows

Tue Mar 29 16:46:14 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 29, 2005

On Mar 28, 2005, at 8:06 PM, nemery at u.washington.edu wrote:
> perhaps rather than trying to get the reversal of direction into one
> arrow, which is why I chose the one that looks like a u-turn, I should
> just have two parallel arrows pointing in each direction?  In that
> case, how do you read them again to know which direction comes first?

Take a look at the three attached signs...All of them have alternating
movement back and forth, or up and down. These are called
Movement-Arrow-Clusters. The groups of arrows are always read from the
center and then out...so the arrows in the center are read first, and
then the next and then the next. The Alternating Lines...the two
curves...are technically not needed if you know the rule that you read
from the center, and then out...