[sw-l] Denmark and SignWriting...

Mon May 9 15:39:43 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 9, 2005

Thank you, Bill, for sharing your experiences with us...It is
interesting to read about Cochlear Implants...I did not know some of
that...That is an education to read about the dangers of equipment
hurting a device in your head....ouch! That would make me hesitate to
place them in babies, but I know people do that...

There is one important note, regarding SignWriting...

SignWriting was not invented to help deafness or deaf people.
SignWriting was invented to preserve and respect a group of languages
that deserve to have a written form, because those who use those
languages, both deaf and non-deaf, have created beautiful poetry and
literature that should be on library shelves. The fact that SignWriting
can also assist some Deaf people to learn to read and write languages
better, was a blessing I personally would never have believed, when I
first began with SignWriting...that happened later, when we all found
out that was true...at the time I first got the idea to write signed
languages, back in Denmark in 1974, I wanted to preserve the languages,
and that was all...

The development of the Cochlear Implant has made this even more
obvious. Once I got this question from a non-deaf person:

...If the Cochlear Implant or future medical developments cure
deafness, then SignWriting will not be needed, right?....

My answer: SignWriting is for anyone who uses a signed language, or
mime, or gesture...it has no connection to whether a person can hear or
not...It has nothing to do with the physical issues of deafness...and
signed languages will not go away, even if there were no deaf people in
the world...

And my private reaction...Even if modern medicine could operate on
everyone and get rid of deafness, not every person in the world could
afford such an operation...and I do not believe that deafness will go
away competely, no matter what medical science produces...especially in
poorer countries...

Meanwhile I know hearing children, like Stefan's children, who benefit
from SignWriting, so all this is irrelevant...

And regarding Denmark...they are still using SignWriting, when Danish
Sign Language is used...it is simply not the focus of a Deaf Education
project, that's all...instead it is used with interpreter training and
with parents of deaf children...

Val ;-)