[sw-l] SignWriter Tiger alpha release needs testing...

Mon May 16 15:50:35 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 16, 2005

Dear SW List, and software developers...
Daniel Noelpp, the developer of SignWriter Tiger, has informed me that
there is an alpha release of SignWriter Tiger available for testing.
Daniel has requested that we make a list of items to test and that we
all test it for those exact same features, to see if these features
work, on several different computers...So if there are others on the
SignWriting List who wish to test it with me, we can try to coordinate
our efforts. I need to rest now, as I have been ill again....so for
this moment....you might want to read about it below. And Daniel, THANK
YOU, for all your hard work. We are grateful to you...

SignWriter Tiger Development
http://www.signwriter.org/

SignWriter Tiger on SourceForge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/swj

What is the SignWriter?
It is a program to edit SignWriting texts.

"SignWriter Tiger" is the new SignWriter program and follows
"SignWriter DOS". It is still in development. Please see the paper
"Development of a new 'SignWriter' Program" for the conference in
Lisbon end of May 2004:

http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/lisbon/lisbon08.html

And At the First European SignWriting Symposium in Brussels July 2005
SignWriter Tiger will be presented, too.

http://signwriting.org/symposium/2005/

May 16th 2005 is the first public release of executables and source
code on SourceForge. Developers who know SignWriting and Java Tiger are
still welcome to participate. The software runs under any Java Tiger
(Java 5.0) installation, but is still very alpha. Users are welcome to
experiment with the software and complain about missing features and
bugs (but politely, please :-).

Download SignWriter Tiger!
We are sorry but as of now (May 16th 2005) SignWriter Tiger only runs
on Windows machines with Java 5.0 installed. Mac OS X users will have
to wait a few more days. A hack with
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home/bin/java
-jar SignWriterTiger_alpha01.jar
only resulted in an VerifyError. I am going to investigate this problem
in a few days.

Licenses and Development Model
SignWriter Tiger is being developed under an Open Source license,
namely the Artistic License. It is the same license used for the
development of the Perl programming language. You don't have to buy the
software. It is Open Source.

SignWriter Tiger is a SourceForge project, too. SourceForge.net is the
world's largest Open Source software development website, with the
largest repository of Open Source code and applications available on
the Internet. SourceForge.net provides free services to Open Source
developers.

Daniel Noelpp
d.noelpp at gmx.ch
Moos Switzerland