[sw-l] how to write dialogues between 2 or more people?

barbara.pennacchi at ISTC.CNR.IT barbara.pennacchi at ISTC.CNR.IT
Tue May 31 09:34:53 UTC 2005

Scrive Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org>:

> Let's start with Stefan...read this message on the web:
>
> http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlist/archive2/message/4787.html
>
> and then you will notice this attached diagram in which Stefan was
> trying to write a person A and B signing to each other...

Thanks, I've been clicking on every email in that thread: it is interesting,
really. Especially when discussing how to clarify the relative location of 2
people.

There is just one thing that I'm afraid will cause a bit of a pain in the A...
I'm not sure about ASL, but I know that in LIS eyegaze doesn't apply just to
"placing the listener", it has also a very important role WITHIN signed
sentences (as in "warning, I'm opening/closing one sentence" or in "warning,
this's gonna be real important"). So, I'm wondering whether the use of eyegaze
for both listener's placing and within the normal LIS flow will cause a bit of
confusion in readers or not.

Hmmm... "coloring" heads would make it clear, especially in dialogues where
their signs overlap (just like hearing talking all together at the same time),
but I'm afraid this will have to wait till color ink stops being overpriced
(grin).