axial movement - thumb vs. baby finger

Sun Nov 13 18:22:09 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
November 13, 2005

Charles Butler wrote:
> So if I want to show a hand flipping both ways, and concentrate on
> the thumb, then the curve is at the bottom of the page, and if I
> want to concentrate on the little finger the curve is at the top of
> the page.  Either hand will do, but the curve below is the thumb,
> and the curve above is the little finger?

Hello Charles, Lucyna, Stefan and Everyone!
Yes. That's right. When we are in the Expressive View, the top of
your paper (or computer screen) is the front wall, and the bottom of
your paper (or computer screen) is back towards your chest...

So rotations painting the path of the baby finger, are towards the
front wall, so that is the curve-UP rotation, and is placed above the
hand....and if the THUMB paints the path in the air, then that is
curve-DOWN towards your chest so the curve is down on the paper...and
that symbol is placed below the hand...

See attached diagram: