LESSON Wrist Circle Symbols

Tue Oct 4 21:57:47 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
October 4, 2005

On Oct 4, 2005, at 2:37 PM, Marc Girod & Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> Val do we still have to use the same circle and then just add the
> star for contact ? or do we have to change anything about the
> movement as the thumbs keep in contact ? just wondering what to do
> in such situations ??

Hello Anny, Lucyna and everyone -
Let us first be sure we understand the difference in the Movement
Symbols. Can you see why the sign for Angel in Polish Sign Language
cannot be Wrist Circles?

Here is an excellent diagram taken from Steve and Dianne Parkhurst's
book, SignoEscritura, page 188. The illustrations were done by Steve
Parkhurst. This is a Wrist Circle...the arm remains frozen while the
hand-only moves in a circle, from the wrist joint. The examples in
these diagrams are from Spanish Sign Language (Madrid):