LESSONS in SignSpelling

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 14 02:33:15 UTC 2005

Valerie,

Take a look at this sign.

Here is an unusual sign.  It shows the hand starting at a closed A shape, then gradually opening and shutting to a more elongated wedge shape, finally finishing with a B handshape.

This is the sign for HIERARCHY (Computer) in the Rochester Institute of the Deaf sign book for Computer-Related Sign Language.  Is this the best way to write it?  It feels as if the neutral opening handshapes are as important as the three closed shapes, and I don't see any way to reduce them to just closed shapes with missing the variant partially opened hands.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting ListOctober 13, 2005

Hello Kathleen and Everyone!
Great. Glad you asked. No, the writing in the sign for Limburg is not correct. And there are a lot of signs like that in the Flemish dictionaries online...both in SignPuddle and in the Flemish Online Dictionary. But we can clean this up quickly in SignPuddle at least... I will post a lesson on the Finger Movement Symbols tomorrow, October 14th...and show you how to write the signs that use that symbol...

Val ;-)

PS. I am so delighted to have this chance to share with you, Kathleen...I have wanted to tell you about this specific symbol for a long time, but we all got so busy with the Sympoisum and other things...so now is the time....Talk to you tomorrow... smile...;-))