News from Bluefields

James Shepard-Kegl, Esq. kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Fri Oct 28 13:23:56 UTC 2005

Charles,

Thank you for your concerns.

Bluefields was essentially destroyed in 1988 by Hurricane Joan, which was a
Category 5!
In our neighborhood, the house we use as a shelter was just that -- a
shelter.  One of the few concrete structures at that time, the damage
incurred was minimal, while no wooden home was left standing.

One of the teachers came to us as a refugee from Hurricane Mitch, where
missed Bluefields back in 1998 but caused tremendous flood damage in her
part of the country.  Needless to say, she is terrified, but I expect
everyone else will more or less take it in stride.

Our concern is not so much winds and surf, but that the storm may stall, as
Mitch did.  (Mitch was actually not a hurricane at all when it caused all
the damage, but an unending rain event.)

-- James