POLAND... Antarktyda again, plus 10 hand issues...

Fri Sep 9 22:27:47 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 9, 2005

Lucyna - Do you remember when I asked the question to the List: What
is the difference between Expressive and Receptive writing? And you
answered that you would not answer that because you were not a
beginner...smile?...I never meant to imply anyone was a beginner, but
I was worried about some of the signs in your SignPuddle that look
like they were written from the Receptive view rather than the
Expressive view...so there was reason for my asking that question,
and as you can see, the subject has now come up. I am happy it did ;-)

Actually I love the Receptive view and always use to write that way
myself, but the one definite rule we have is to stay in the same
viewpoint within one document. So we do not mix Receptive and
Expressive together in the same document. The Expressive is the world
standard way to write SignWriting so your SignPuddle needs to be
consistently Expressive...

DanceWriting is oftentimes written receptively because we would sit
in the audience and write the movements that the dancers were doing
on stage...but that is another world altogether! Receptive in
DanceWriting is very beautiful - I miss writing dance and look
forward to returning to it someday...

And guess what...a young man who is a competing skateboarder has
asked me to write skateboard movements...ha! it is great fun! And
that I am writing receptively...

But that is not SignWriting, which is Expressive because we are
expressing ourselves when we write...

Val ;-)