AW: [sw-l] Europa :-)

Sun Sep 4 22:07:11 UTC 2005

Hi Val and sw-list

almost    five years ago we discussed the same problem. ;-)  Nov 13, 2000

Since then I prefer the different spelling of the thumb - and since then I
never got confused again - but whenever I see the thumb on top of the fist -
with no gap although the hand is not pararllel to the floor -- my brain
really has to work hard ...

So - I prefer very much the other spelling with the thumb to the right if it
is pointing to the face !! - or even the dot! although I do not use that
personally - but I regret that there is this other spelling option as well -
on top - ( it does not fit into my concept - it does not fit into the
concept of the Parkhursts as well --- ;-((

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] Im Auftrag von Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Sonntag, 4. September 2005 22:10
An: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Betreff: Re: [sw-l] Europa :-)

SignWriting List
September 4, 2005

  Lucyna Dlugolecka wrote:
> Ok, so I'll dispense with that symbol.

Wonderful. That will simplify the writing a little.

And then the 10 handshape...the one with the thumb sticking out...It
is a weird handshape that is one of our oldest and it probably needs
to be improved in the IMWA...but for right now, let me show you why
it is so hard to read...here is an accurate way to read it:

See E-Lesson
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less016.html

The design of the symbol is not like other symbols and it is
continually creating confusions for us...

This diagram might help for now...if you place your hand in the Flat
hand position and then bend it into a fist, then rotate the hand to
the position you want...I guess your writing would place the knuckles
(the bent fingers) toward the left? smile