Writing Dialogues in Signed Languages

Barbara Pennacchi barbara.pennacchi at ISTC.CNR.IT
Thu Sep 8 17:14:00 UTC 2005

On 08.09.05 16:51, Antônio Carlos da Rocha Costa wrote:

> I felt that the issue of writing dialogues is the crucial one for them.

I'd like to add here my .02 eurocents:

I've been working side by side with Sign Language researchers, here in
Italy for too many years (in spite of my looks). And what I feel here is
that there's going to be a shift of focus in SL research. About time, huh?

When SL research was focused on "single signs" or one-people simple signed
sentences, glossing didn't show all its inadequacies. But now the
playground in SL research allowed by the use of glossing is starting to
feel a bit too small for some researchers.

I dunno about American SL researchers, mind you. :)

So this is one of the explanations for the insistence of french SL
researchers. They're growing bored of researching the same topics and want
to move on different topics, related to studying SL as an "oral language",
a language used in real-time between more than one person.

And (i hope so) they're not alone here in Europe.

What the heck, it was REALLY about time!!!! They (SL researchers) can be
so dense, sometimes.... ;)

| Barbara Pennacchi               barbara.pennacchi (at) istc.cnr.it |
|                 Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche                 |
|         Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione          |
|       Via S. Martino della Battaglia 44, 00185 Roma, Italia        |
|                      http://www.istc.cnr.it/                       |