POLAND... Antarktyda again, plus 10 hand issues...

Sat Sep 10 19:24:07 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 10, 2005

Hello Lucyna and Everyone...
You are very welcome. And thanks once again for sharing this with
everyone, because I know that there are others who have had the same
experiences. This is not uncommon. I have met others who have blended
Receptive and Expressive before, so you are not alone. This will help
them too...

I am sorry that my books have not been clear enough, Lucyna...I will
try to think through how we can explain this better in the future...I
am glad you told me ;-))

Val ;-)

P.S. I keep thinking about that historic time when we switched from
receptive to expressive back in 1984. At first, I argued against the
change, stating that when we contact the face, and then move forward,
that the arrow would hit the face and look weird in the expressive.
But our Deaf skilled Signwriters told me that that does not matter
because they are not writing in a mirror...they are writing the way
it feels to themselves while they are signing, without seeing
themselves in a mirror, but feeling it on the right side of their own
face, and so the arrow has to move forward somehow, keeping in the
Expressive...so we slowly got used to certain spellings that have
that configuration...moving the forward arrow over to the right side
of the facial circle a little when necessary...it is just a matter of
time and these spellings will become standardized and students will
learn in a totally different way...they will accept the way the
dictionary is...That is why I want to improve our E-lessons, with
more and more SignSpelling guidelines, so we can standardize our
writing around the world...There may always be some differences from
country to country, just as there are with the Roman Alphabet...but
nevertheless, we should try for standardization if we can...I would
say in the next 5 years you will see a big difference...the
SignSpelling Guidelines will be thick with structure! smile