RES: [sw-l] doubt about sign VLONI

Sun Sep 11 21:43:59 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 11, 2005

Honza wrote:
> sure, you are right. Good job :)
> If is the origin sign Spain the same as czech sign "Spain" (I
> suppose it is), so sign VLONI should be written in the same way.
> If you try to sign this sign and just change handshape to ASL
> 10handshape you get sign VLONI, but I am not sure with the written
> sign Spain - I think that the handshape should be white, shouldn't it?
> If you start with open hand and then make this handshape you'll get
> another orientation than in this sign Spain.. maybe I am right.
>
> so Val I hope you are fit again soon.
> Honza

---------------

Hello Honza and Everyone -
The only reason I could see it was like SPAIN is because of your
video clip, Honza. Without the video, we could talk about it until we
are blue in the face! That is why I appreciate the photos that Stefan
and others have been giving me, and video clips as you posted
too...The visual is better than words, to describe movement!

Regarding the sign for SPAIN...I thought that was the way they wrote
the sign in SPAIN...I thought that the side of the hand touched at
the end, not the palm...so we are doing the sign differently...as you
know there are many textbooks and newsletters in Spanish Sign
Language (Madrid dialect) written in SignWriting...You can download
them on the web:

Spanish textbook in SignWriting
http://www.signwriting.org/spain/lecciones/SignoEscritura/signo002.html

Of course if I am wrong, I will change the sign...we will need to
write to people in Spain to be sure...Here is the way I am writing it
right now: