ASL sign for HOW ;-)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 25 14:05:16 UTC 2005

It's WRONG, no matter how logical it is, it's wrong.  It's not readable as it is in that position.

I'd like to see a real poll comparing, not by logic, but by actually putting 100 Deaf people in the U.S. without explaning the system, as to which would put their thumbs in the correct position upon looking at "how" in that writing, which now looks like "motorcycle" with crossed hands.  The Palm Facings just don't cut it on first glance.

HOW   MOTORCYCLE

You shift the forefinger for hunh,

Why not shift the thumb for how?

.  Every last one of them would stick their two thumbs out to the side, as if trying row a boat with crossed hands, and that is wrong.

The thumb is NOT up, it's now to the side.  Icons are important.  With the A hand one can understand it, but NOT with the 10 hand.  The visual angle just doesn't match what you see.  If I photograph the hand, and put your writing on it, the thumb does NOT match the hand, it just doesnt'.

Sign writing MUST match photography, at first glance, I should be able to lay down my hand on the photgraph and have a match, or there is a serious problem.  My thumb is NOT to the side in that position.

There is a problem here.  I am NOT smiling, and I will argue, and continue to write it the old way, even if I have to construct the hand every time in every angle.  I think the German fellow made a serious mistake in logic.  We've used the system for 25 years, and used it a LOT, and printed a LOT of materials, and I honestly don't think people have been confused.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
September 24, 2005

Look at the ASL sign for HOW...the style written in number 6
attached...It is correct...smile...oh those thumbs! smile...Val ;-)