ASL sign for HOW ;-)

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 25 14:46:29 UTC 2005

Several months ago I posed the question of the inconsistency of the
symbolset regarding the thumb. Now I know that Val - and Steve as well- has
put an enormous amount of work into making the system consistent - and yeat
we are not satisfied. Because I agree with you, Charles - something seems
wrong. But when I take a close look at my hand with the thumb up, I see that
if I strech the other fingers of the hand, my hand is actually parallell to
the floor, not to the wall. So the problem seems to be in just one of the
rows of the  system - se illustraion attached.
The thumb is in a special position among the fingers - and if I do this
streching out of the other fingers, and thus do get an opening in the
symbols concerning the other finger, I do not get a similar opening for my
thumb - it is still parallallell to the wall. So maybe there is a solution
that is not too costly in work and time - and would give us a possibility to
write ASL 'not' and other signs with thumbs up or down - se attached
illustration

Just my 2-pennies worth -

Ingvild