New 10 Handshape in SignPuddle now!

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 28 04:56:43 UTC 2005

No, Valerie.  I am reading it like the hand heel, exactly as it looks like.  I am looking at all of the hands from the same view, straight on at the hand, not from above, or below.

If I see black, it's the back of the hand, and the back of the hand rotates in space.

When the hand goes TILT, it is carrying the back of the hand with it.  So if the back of the hand is to the right, the hand is to the right, if the back of the hand is to the left, then it is to the left.  If it is above, it is above, if below, below.  The HALF hand has always been the HALF hand, not seen from above, always black.

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
September 27, 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 8:59 PM, Charles Butler wrote:
> 05-03, the shadow is wrong as the palm of the hand is by that
> shadow facing down, not up. It's the same shadow as 02-03, and it
> should be opposite.

Hello Charles -
You have a misunderstanding of how the overhead view is read, because
this diagram is absolutely correct! Of course they must have the same
shading, otherwise it would be incorrect...they cannot be
opposite...so there is nothing wrong about it! I will try to create a
diagram for you tomorrow to help you understand it...05 is seen from
overhead with the baby finger to the floor, and it has the baby
finger to the floor as it rotates around...and you are looking on top
and seeing the thumb projecting straight at you...words are no
good...pictures will help tomorrow...smile...Val ;-)

PS. 05 is exactly like the S hand...think of the S hand parallel to
the floor... the dark is on top because you are looking from
above...it is like the side of the hand, except seen from
above...smile...