New 10 Handshape in SignPuddle now!

Wed Sep 28 05:44:36 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 27, 2005

On Sep 27, 2005, at 9:56 PM, Charles Butler wrote:
> No, Valerie.  I am reading it like the hand heel, exactly as it
> looks like.  I am looking at all of the hands from the same view,
> straight on at the hand, not from above, or below.

Ah, That is the catch! I am not writing the heel of the hand. As I
told Adam, it would be good to develop a way to write the heel of the
hand for a fist someday, but that is not what that symbol represents
right now.

The Heel of the Hand symbols we have right now, are only for the Flat
Hand and are not related to fists that are projecting forward. I
understand why you and Adam want a fist projecting forward, because
that is what is happening with that handshape, but for now we are
seeing it like an S hand from above. We put our hand in an S shape
parallel to the floor and we look down on the hand and then the thumb
comes up...so it is an S hand with the thumb up, parallel to the
floor... That is what people chose...they did not want the one with
the dot in 05...you said yourself that you wanted 5B in the attached,
and that has a break at the knuckle joints...

When we have a break at the knuckle joints on a square symbol, as in
05, that automatically means Top View parallel to the floor. If it
were the Heel of the Hand, you could not have a break at the knuckle
joint of that symbol. So you chose Top View in 5b whether you
realized it or not ;-))

In a few months, we can re-visit that symbol again, but for now, I am
writing with it...and for me, at the moment at least, it is working
beautifully...look at the ASL sign for poster attached...I really
like it.... Val ;-)