BRAZIL Animated SignWriting by Rubia Denardi

Sun Apr 9 23:31:22 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 9, 2006

Hello Antonio Carlos and Everyone!

Thanks so much for this response...it is great to hear from you again!

> Yes, the animation is driven by a Java applet. To run the animation it
> is required to download the "Java Runtime Environment", called J2SE
> JRE.

I believe that Juliette is also on a Mac OS X computer, like I am.
For some reason Firefox for the Mac does not seem to read your
animation, however another browser for the Mac, with the same mozilla
engine, called Camino, does view your animations immediately without
any special downloads, so Juliette, you can download the new Mac
broswer Camino for free, and that download is easier than the JRE
download...ha! Plus you will love Camino...it is the fastest browser
I have ever used...

New Free Mac Web Broswer

Download Camino
http://www.caminobrowser.org

>   It is easy to do that, the instalation is automatic.
>
>   The link to the download page of the J2SE JRE is
>
>         http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
>
>   The link is more or less in the middle of the page.
>
>   It will lead to another page, where various download options are
> available. The simplest one is that named
>
>     "Windows Instalation, Multilanguage"
>
> (not the one named "Windows Offline Instalation, Multilanguage").

I did not see any Mac OS X downloads there, but I can figure this out
I am sure! Many thanks for your support and information...smile...

>   And Valerie, if the SW symbols were in a so-called vector format
> (like
> SVG and others) it would be possible to scale them larger or smaller
> automatically in the animation, so you would not need to increase the
> number of symbols (they could be automatically rotated too, so the
> number of symbols would be divided by 16).

Ha! Yes...of course if we had the entire IMWA vertorized we would be
better off you are right! I appreciate all you have done with SVG and
other vectorization in the past...a lot of work for you I know...

But actually in this one case I believe you may have misunderstood
what I meant...I was talking about Size Variations within ONE point
size...

These variations are written by hand in SignWriting, but were never
fully added to any computerized symbolset historically.

Variations in arrow sizes vary depending on the length of the
movement in relationship to other movements within the same sign.
Movement size varations are already added into computers, like SW DOS
has them, and so does the IMWA...(see attached diagram)...

Variations in handshape sizes, however, have never been added to
computers...Smaller size handshape variations, in these cases,
actually mean something DIFFERENT than the larger size
handshapes...within the same point size...

The three handshape sizes are variations that show depth... they mean
FAR, MIDDLE and CLOSE...but I have never put those hand size
variations into any symbol set because of the huge amount of symbols
it would add... I will show you next message what I mean...your
animation simply reminded me of this, because that was how the
animation was showing depth...

>   But of course, re-doing everything you did requires a big effort
> from
> somebody specially dedicated to it. Hard to find :-(

Steve has been working on reducing our current symbols in SignText to
50% now, even though it is not perfect...

But of course you are right that it takes a lot of time...Trevor and
others have been thinking about it...

I understand you will be attending the Genoa conference? Val ;-)