Suggestion

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 19 05:43:16 UTC 2006

The sign you have proposed doesn't change the title in English, just the translation into ASL.  The ASL sign you have proposed is probably better as a translation for "signwriting" as a concept for the Deaf, as "signwriting" is a good word for the hearing.

Stuart Thiessen <thiessenstuart at gmail.com> wrote:
  Hi! I wanted to make a suggestion something that Philip and I have
talked about. We were talking about the ASL name for SignWriting. We
want to suggest a different name sign for SignWriting. We have listed
them under SignWriting_3 (for vertical writing) and SignWriting_4 (for
horizontal writing).

Here is our rationale: The new sign is a compound sign. The first sign
is a sign for SIGNING that seems to be only used in reference to
fluent signing of a natural sign language. The second sign of course
is the sign for PUT DOWN on paper. Together, it would mean "fluent
natural signing that is put down on paper."

I know it messes with the status quo, but we thought that kind of a
name might have more impact in helping ASL deaf realize that
SignWriting is not some other system seeking to impose English, but a
way of writing down our true ASL signs.

Just wanted to throw that out for the ASL SW users. What do you all
think? I'll check back in the morning.

Philip, if you want to add to this, go ahead. :)

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart Thiessen
Des Moines, IA